Social Media – A Boon Or A Bane
When we talk about social media, the first thing that strikes in our mind is Facebook or Twitter, but social media is very broader than this. Now, in the modern world social media is define in a terms of mobile and web based technologies to create a social network in a virtual world through a collection of online communication channels. Social media is that virtual world where people interact freely, sharing and discussing ideas and information, know about each other and their lives, sending messages etc. by using a multimedia mix of personal words, pictures, videos and audios
What a social media can do?
- It’s been researched that ‘Even an Introvert person has 350+ friends on Facebook’
- It can make a ‘chai wala’ win the elections and become a Prime Minister of the nation.
Do u know from where Social Media Evolved?
Social media is around us since the ancient times when first time humans began to talk; its evidences are still on the walls of caves in the form of wall painting. After the development of electronic computers in 1950s, internet came into existence. In the year 1969, Compuserve was the first major commercial internet service provider for the public in U.S. The first email was delivered in 1971. The American Online (AOL) services opened in 1985. In 1998, Google became popular as a major internet search engine and index. In 2001, Wikipedia started as an online encyclopaedia. In 2003, Myspace and LinkedIn were launched as social networking sites. In 2004, Facebook, another social networking site came into existence.
Let’s see how social media came with a flash in today’s scenario?
- Recently, there were some pictures going viral on social media about the ‘first ever lesbian wedding in Pune’, when investigated it was found the pictures were of American girls. But the pictures did their job very well, by creating a sensation about ‘what’s happening in Pune’.
- Gurkaranveer Singh, a student, who aspires to study in US, talks about virtual chat rooms available on various websites of these universities that allows him to solve his queries. “Modern communication sources are very helpful. Through virtual chat rooms, I got a lot of attention. During exams, through WhatsApp groups, we shared and exchanged most of our notes on it,” says Singh. Highlighting the negative effects of social media and on the dependency on such mediums, Jagdeep Saini says, “With so many modes of communication, we all feel that we are lucky but the ground reality is that we have become slaves to these modes. We are glued to one gadget or the other, round the clock. Even kids are not behind. Rather than playing outdoors, they are busy creating social network profiles.”
Here is how social media helps in business development.
- Social Media Marketing is an excellent tool for business exposure to the public at a much lower cost than any traditional marketing.
- Platforms such as Facebook and Twitter help targeting new customers and make brand more popular.
- Social Media can improve customer service and enable business to gain new information about their customers.
Nothing is perfect in this world with so many Advantages of Social Media some Disadvantages are also been noticed.
In this today’s generation Sports has a Competition with Social Media. Youth believe in having more exposure on Social Media than being physically fit.
Let’s see what Social Media also lead to.
- Mr Jayesh Jain, owner of Bharat cycles said,” As the world is moving ahead with the trend changing, it’s been difficult to be in this business. Children’s use to ask for cycle before as now they ask for mobiles, sooner there will be a time when cycle won’t exist in India.”
- Due to more into Social Media and surfing world, students below age miss click on other website where they should not click. As to take an action City police have decided to use the same social media to reach out and create awareness.